Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Put away that potty..for awhile



For a while we lived with my parents again. I fought hard to find my way back into school. I had my teachers begging me to come back and the strive to do so. Sadly the funding wasn't there for daycare. All of my parents worked days and my friends were still in school. I had no income to put my daughter in daycare.

My days were spent with her. Teaching her, playing game with her, helping her learned little songs. Changing diapers and preparing meals were all I did. I knew if I could get I decided to start potty training her at 1 1/2. I read bought her a plastic potty chair with child support. I bought her "Once Upon A Potty." every night.. a about a million times during the day.
I had a vhs cassette tape about using the potty we watched. I tried everything to convince her sitting on the potty was a good thing. Of course..this didn't work..none of it did..although some people have managed to master the art of potty raining their children at a year and half..not my daughter. Sometimes she peed and I gave her a small treat.

The potty training process was a long process for us. She would be three before she finally got the hang of it. When I finally look at her..much like I did with the weaning and told her "No more diapers." I finally took the diapers and had her help me through them away in the trash outside. Two days later she was trained, she didn't like the feel of pee on her leg. I never got made about "accidents". I don't understand why some people get so upset when their little ones mess. Maybe God blessed me with more patience than some, I don't know. What I do know is that the 3 years of teaching were well worth the trouble, as she never did have an accident or wet the bed when she finally trained.

I wouldn't recommend early potty training to anyone. I think the books and articles that promote it are baloney. Either you have a toddler who trains early or you don't. If all it took was time and effort, she would have trained because all I had was time and all I did was stay home and teach her. I think each child has their own will or way when it comes to potty training. We all know when we see that first pregnancy test come back positive that diapers and butt cleanings are ahead. So why stress yourself or your baby when we all know it will happen in time. A little teaching doesn't hurt, but getting frustrating or frustrating your child seems pointless. I learned better when I had my next two children.

So in a way I spent much of my high school years teaching my little girl how to use a potty.




No comments:

Post a Comment