Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The birth of a worker bee

I was fortunate enough to have a multitude of baby sitting jobs, good pay ones. Everyone who knows me, knows and knew then, that children and babies are my favorite part of life. I went to school and held a few babysitting jobs.

When I was half way done with my pregnancy I was lucky enough to be sent into a work program through my school. A few days a week I worked at the Board of Education in Torrington, CT. Doing what I do best, (other than caring for little people)..typing.

I earned a decent amount for a teenager between the two and quickly learned how to put things on layaway. My stroller and car seat were the first big items I bought for my baby all on my own. Of course I had a baby shower and my family and friends were very generous in spoiling my baby and myself. Still its the remembrance of the things I worked so hard to buy on my own I was most proud of.

I looked for lists in parenting magazines and books of items expecting moms should have ready. I made a list and one by one checked them off.  Because of work programs and parents willing to trust me and give me a hand up, when my due date came, my baby would lack for nothing.

I gained job skills early in life and for that I will always be grateful. I know because of the programs open to me, I was able to get my life on track quickly and had a better chance than most to beat the odds handed to young parents across America.

This is why it also saddens me that so many programs have been cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment