Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, March 30, 2012

Everyone has a birth story

They held my tiny baby up for one quick second. She looked perfect, far from the crinkled, discolored, mess covered little ones I'd prepared myself for. Her eyes were big, huge even and looked so wise. She looked like she was ready to say something important. A tiny angel ready with a big message. I reached out for her, anxious to follow my birth plan of instant bonding, but they whooshed her away. "You can have her soon.", they reassured.

After being stapled back together, I was wheeled away to yet another room. This room was dank, empty, depressing. It walls reminded me of watered down pea soup. I didn't have physical pain, but I had worry. Where was my baby? "You''ll have her soon.", they said again. I was crying, it'd been over an hour. I watched the hands of the clock turn round and round. The nurse came in and out taking my vitals. What was going on? Why wouldn't anyone tell me anything? My family and friends saw her in the nursery, why wasn't I seeing my baby?

Crying and confused, with no one telling me anything, they finally brought my baby to me. She was in an incubator. I could only watch her behind the shield of plastic from my bed. She was sleeping and moving her lips open and closed as if she were blowing kisses from behind the glass.

Her umbilical cord has been wrapped around her neck three times and tightly which was why she wasn't given to me right away, small panic had broken out amongst the doctors. They'd kept it so quiet I hardly knew until the danger had pass. This was why she struggled making it down the birth canal. When I realized what might how happened if I stubbornly refused the c-section...there were no words.

Shortly after we we both back in our hospital suite with family and friends surrounding us. She weighed 7 lbs, 6oz. and was 20 inches long. But had no set name as of then. Within time they put her in the normal open plastic baby bed and took the ugly enclosed one away. I touched my baby girl's soft fragile skin and held her. Counted her fingers and toes like every mom. Took guesses with my visitors about whose facial features she was blessed or cursed with. She took to nursing right away. I didn't. I just about screamed, the initial pain was so bad. Yet soon we both had it down and things were moving right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment