Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What I expected while I was expecting..meant nothing compared to what people expected from me

I remember the long walk me and my high school girlfriend took to Parenthood the day I found out I was pregnant. It wasn't my first trip there, when I was 12, my best friend and I went in to find out information on birth control. She was 11 and sexually active. I was thirteen before I made that leap. Losing my virginity was again a conscious choice for me. I wasn't in a "relationship"..(I throw up a little at calling anything between two tweens a relationship) but hooked up with a boy from school who was both popular and cute, all the requirements a 13 year old girl might consider, were met. He called me and offered. I simply said yes and we met a while later. Like I said, I was the original teen girl gone wild and that was just another milestone I hoped to reach.

Anyway, back to Planned Parenthood. Although I intentionally got pregnant, I was stunned when it actually happened. Again, the father of my baby wasn't someone I was in a relationship with although I believed at the time I was madly and helplessly in love with him. He wasn't my boyfriend.

I don't think the nurse at Planned Parenthood was ready for my uproar of hysterics. I probably scared every woman in the place with my wailing. I cried until there wasn't a tear in me. Then I called my mother. As you can imagine she was not please. I don't remember exactly what was said. I remember the walk back to town with my girlfriend. Within that half hour I went from hysterical to excited. We proudly told everyone we bumped into, which was a number of other kids from school.

As typical with many of today's teen dads, the father of my baby instantly denied paternity. He also managed to call me every not nice word I'd ever heard and some I hadn't. He wouldn't tell his family. I later would, in my fifth month when he started seeing my step sister. There would also be a paternity test. Yet another trend that was just in its begining stages.

People's reactions were mixed. A lot of people didn't believe me until it became undeniable. Nothing changed much within my circle of friends just then, that would come later.

I was shocked when I told my favorite teacher at school and she weld up with tears. I couldn't imagine why her reaction would be tearful. This was a baby! I was thrilled! Fourteen years old and ecstatic!


No comments:

Post a Comment