Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, March 30, 2012

The name game

Still in the hospital before discharge, she didn't have a name.
Brooklyn, Brittany ( spelt Brittnee), Mariah or Taylor...a combination of them..
Those were the names tossed around during my pregnancy. I wasn't even sure what her last name would be. Mine or her father's. When I saw her, I couldn't possibly name her any of those. They weren't her.

Emily.. Emily Ann.. I thought. Now that's a pretty name. My hand hovered over the birth certificate. The ball of the pen almost skimming the paper. I drew back, too common..every one's middle name is Ann..or Marie..

I just didn't know. Her dad hadn't been to see her yet, or any of his family. I wanted him on the birth certificate but when he did come he refused to sign. He'd held her but refused to show his face in photos. He insisted her dad was African-american. A few people did actually, I can assume this idea comes from the basis of other boys I was dating during that time. I wanted to give her his last name but my family said that wasn't a good idea. Were they questioning if I knew the paternity? I didn't know. A nurse came in and wrongly informed me that she could not have his last name without his consent. If she chose to tell me that without influence I don't know. There was numerous rumors of his family having kin or friends at least on the maternity floor or in the hospital.

I was crying. I had this perfect little girl and I couldn't find her name. My mother suggested I name her after my best friend Mwikali. I knew the troubles Mwikali had herself with her name. No one could ever say it right and people were scared to say it period! BUT Mwikali was Mwikali's middle name. Her first name Deanna ..not pronounced Dee-Anna,  but Dee-Ana. I'd always thought it was pretty and so I had her name DeAna.  Mariah which was my favorite from my picks became her middle name and she took my last name. I quickly wrote it down, I didn't hesitate because she needed a name. It would take me a few years not to second guess if I chose right. She grew into her name in time and I love it now.
I spelt it wrong at first, her original birth certificate says DeOna. Not a very attractive name or spelling. After I took a look at it, I had it fixed. Again, another impulsive teenager mistake.

Did you have trouble naming your baby? What names did you like? What names did you pick and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment